Saturday 4 September 2021

a summer evening at the seaside

 

a summer evening at the seaside


a mighty asynchronous frisson

this sunlight upon the sea and

how could i even attempt to reckon

what it is saying to me


for this look from shore to furthest point

where my eyes flow to and fro

and the sun upon my browning skin

my sighs upon the sea you know


how one’s thoughts bestride the far horizon’s

promises of childhood’s pirate lore

and on and on and over we go to

where the luxurious breezes know


that never could that coral island

ever be more than a mystery to me

and yet and yet my thoughts do sail

across the seven seas for


never it seems this day will behave

like all the days before

and moving under a full thought’s sail

for ever and ever more and


not many evenings sing like this

and not many sunshines lie this close

or on and on an eye full shine

as mine do in these summer’s clothes


warmth lies as a blanket 

upon a breath’s belie that

the stars tonight will cool and

a moon wine will sing that a night is day

until dawn darns the socks

of the fools that drool in


lingering and waiting 

and in waiting linger

until the end begins 

and the end is nigh 

and life begins begins

across this sea 


decipher now what this means to me 

in the cacophony of screams

and children’s shrieks galore 

and glory be upon a wave upon a wave 

enjoyment purely purely be the sea

that rolls up upon this earnest shore

until it finally covers me



No comments:

Post a Comment