Thursday 11 March 2021

there’s no competition

 

there’s no competition



     poetry competitions

now let me get this straight


      we pay you

    for the chance 

  of you choosing us 

to sell your anthology

of us                    to us


me?  i make no apology

i place my poems on my blog for free

you can read them there for free


there’s no competition     but

the only thing that is not free

                                  my muse

who demands a piece of me

a piddling whittling little bit

of my mind’s branching tree

for every poem


that is not free

oh no!        it takes time

that is not free


but why should you pay

   here

take it

it’s free


the gannets on the first stack rock

daggering the atlantic’s guano

to grow whole countries

to scream the whitebait

to fledge the petrels  

that fly from pole to pole


circumnavigate the globe

upon the trade winds of my words

freewheel the dales

hang-glide the mountains


catch a whiff of me

and be gone 


No comments:

Post a Comment