Wednesday 17 January 2018

beggar me neighbour

beggar me neighbour

you sit there in the way
with your dog and grubby blanket
and a few coins
in your upturned cap
mumbling a please
that I do not want to hear
why should I talk to you
I don’t talk to anyone
  at random
why should you talk to me
  at random
why should I want to know who you are
  or were
more than I would want to know
  who anyone else is

give you a few coins for fags
  or for your mobile phone
no    no
if you need help go look for it 
get up from the side walk
  it’s not there is it
the government has my pennies
and they spend them on you as they see fit

  so why are there so many of you
messing up the place
go away
no I don’t want your magazine
  stop asking 
I don’t want it 

  there must be something you can do
why must I know something about you
I don’t even want your answer
  to that
I am walking past now
go away
  or stay
it’s up to you
just don’t keep asking
  that is what I’m asking you

why do I feel as if my words are cruel
see what you have done 
  just by sitting there 
all the shades of need across the world
  I am in my niche
  and you in yours
not my fault
  is it
shall I change my niche
can I change my niche
  let’s just be as we are
    eh
I am because of what I did
and I got here
  your turn to be somewhere 
just not here 
so don’t ask me 
again

if you think I can change the world
  you are wrong
we can stretch the elastic
but it always returns to its original shape
  over all the years
we live
we suffer
then goodbye

it’s the thoughts that count
  and they are free
and beggar your thoughts
  have made a beggar out of me


No comments:

Post a Comment